সোমবার, ২৮ মে, ২০১২

Maplespice Eats!: Saturday, 26 May 2012

Breakfast: Was beautiful! Made blueberry pancakes spread with Vitalite and warmed maple syrup. Used my basic pancake recipe but used 50g of golden caster sugar instead of 30g white caster sugar and just folded in some fresh blueberries before cooking. Delicious!
Gorgeous morning too - sunny and warm with a nice breeze. Had all the doors and windows open whilst making and eating them at the table then sat outside to listen to the birds while drinking my coffee.

Lunch: Had the same as yesterday but just a half sandwich - the Vegan Butter Grilled Sourdough BLT - yum! ("recipe" on yesterday's post).

Afternoon Snack: Too hot for coffee so I made an Iced Soy Cappuccino - sat outside in the sun, very enjoyable :-)

Dinner:?More salads!! - It's the only option for this warm weather :-) Made the Creamy Potato Salad again and my Italian Pasta Salad - (that one links to my first vegetarian blog in case you are wondering!). Balanced the heavy carb based salads with some mixed leaf and cherry tomatoes with a simple mustard vinaigrette. Lovely.

Evening "Snack" (make that meal!): Well, it's the Eurovision final and I love it. Or rather, I love to eat, drink and really take the piss out of it. It's like a family event :-) This year we decided to draw countries and each of us was to support the country we drew. I drew France, my son Italy and my husband Lithuania. Furthermore I thought I would make snack foods and buy drinks representing each country and we would all snack on them during the show.

I decided to stage the different countries throughout the evening and first up was Lithuania. This took some googling for sure but I found a?common beer snack there called Kepta Duona which sounded right up my street - deep fried strips of rye bread, rubbed with garlic and sprinkled with salt. Some pour over this mayo/cheese like sauce and some don't (from what I read - it's all new to me!) so instead I made a whipped vegan cream cheese and mayo dill?dip?to go with them. It seems caraway is the standard flavouring with these but I cannot STAND caraway so I opted for dill as it seems to be a common flavouring there anyway.

So, a little adjustments here and there but I think we got a Lithuanian snack!! To go with it I found this Svytury Ekstra Lager from there and while I don't have company confirmation that it is vegan their website lists sedimentry rock (kieselgur) as the filtration system, so it sounds ok to me! Really good beer too :-)

As for the snack - I?absolutely?loved it!! I knew it would be my kind of thing and it was - garlicky, salty rye bread dipped into a creamy dill dip - yum! Oh, and any country that makes snacks especially to go with beer gets my vote!

Next up was Italy where I made simple mini pizzas with tomato sauce, mozza cheezly, basil and black olives. ?We had an Italian Chianti to go with these.

These were delicious too - the little bases got so high! I used my standard pizza base recipe here then topped with Marks and Spencer's?Margarita?pizza sauce, a basil leaf, sliced black olives and some melty mozza cheezly.?
Then, finally we had France where I made mini croissants with dijon and cheezly served with champagne. These were lovely, I know probably not traditional in any way but it was fun. I just used Jus-Rol croissant dough but sliced the triangles into 3rds to make mini ones, spread with dijon and sprinkled with grated cheezly.

Sadly, I had too much to drink at this stage and forgot to add the little French flag I made :-(

Anyway, altogether it was a great night with fantastic food and drink, sorry I didn't get to post this until the next day - obviously it was a late one! Looking forward to next year's Eurovision and seeing which countries we draw and learning of new foods.

....and no, I did not count calories today, I'm not that strict about it. At a guess....oh, about 2500!! lol...

?

pittsburgh steelers detroit lions seattle seahawks space shuttle space shuttle new york courtney upshaw russell wilson

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন